Gravity pt.3, The ending and beginning

"Christianity is a statement which, if false, is of no importance, and, if true, of infinite importance."  So says C.S. Lewis in the essay, "Christian Apologetics" in the collection God In The Dock.  In terms of western culture this is definitely arguable (as done by a Lewis critic here), but this is not, I think, Lewis's point.  In terms of what Christianity says about ultimate reality, it is either true or false.  This is true of every religious and philosophical system.  The consequences are pretty dramatic in any of the major world religions.  This has caused many to reject the whole lot.  Others say that they are all basically true but not exclusive.  (I think this position is really saying that they are all equally false, but that's a different post!)  For the last couple of posts, I have illustrated Christian belief with the obvious-to-everyone force of gravity.  No doubt, to folks who do not share my convictions about Jesus Christ, this seems a little condescending.  That is not my intent.

To a believer, the evidence of God is everywhere and nearly as obvious as gravity.  To the skeptic, all these phenomena could be explained by chance or natural forces.  Each group seems to be ignoring the plain evidence from the other point of view.  Some might be tempted to make peace between these two groups by trying to compromise and come up with an acceptable middle ground.  This is not my intent, either.  I am firmly in the "believer" camp.  I am trying to grow in my ability to see things from the other side so that I can understand and befriend more people.  Acceptance, however, doesn't mean I agree.  I'm going to try to persuade you still.

This, then, brings me to the end and what I hope and pray is a beginning.  I really believe God is trying to reveal Himself to humanity.  Maybe it would be better to say He is trying to reveal Himself to each human.  Some have said that He could do a better, more dramatic job if He's God after all.  I'll have to concede this point.  It doesn't always make sense to me either but I don't even understand why other humans do what they do.  I guess it's not surprising that I don't always understand why God does what He does.  On the other hand, what about those instances in your life that don't easily yield to happenstance.  Have you encountered a circumstance that seemed a little "too neat?"  Have you learned enough about our natural world to see that, as my high school chemistry teacher used to say, "it almost looks like someone designed this system?"  Have you felt the gentle pull toward belief?  Sure you could explain it away.  What if it's true?  What if the pull is not two masses drawing each other in but the pull of a Father for his child?

If someone sent you this article, ask them what this all means.  If you'd like, you can reach me through the comments or you can find me on Facebook.  I'd love to continue the conversation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fame Isn't Humbling

Evaluation

Setting The Course